“The greatest religious problem today is how to be both a mystic and a militant; in other words how to combine the search for an expansion of inner awareness with effective social action, and how to feel one's true identity in both” Ursula K. LeGuin

Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Sarah Crosby



Sarah Crosby (1729 - 1804) was a class leader in Leeds when at a meeting in 1761 around 200 people were in attendance instead of the usual thirty or so. Since discussion would be impossible in a class that size, she led a hymn, prayed, and began to give her testimony. Later she wrote to John Wesley explaining what she had done, and he replied: I think you have not gone too far. You could not well do less. I apprehend all you can do more is, when you meet again, to tell them simply, "You lay me under a great difficulty. The Methodists do not allow of women preachers; neither do I take upon me any such character. But I will just nakedly tell you what is in my heart."

No comments:

Post a Comment